Reports to: Manager, Guided Transcription
Schedule / Shift: Monday – Friday; EST; 37.5 per week
This position is responsible for using and testing proprietary software to create documents that are usable by the blind and low-vision consumer in the production of educational materials such as textbooks and testing materials with a large emphasis on Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) subject matter.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Using custom-built software which is used to create accessible documents for the blind and low-vision consumer in the educational marketplace.
- Use customer-owned software to tag content for accessibility.
- Work within a team to organize resources, customer communication and schedule work.
- Working within MS Word to format and proofread documents that have been initially processed and transcribed using the custom-built software. This includes: receiving documents in a PDF format, running documents through the proprietary software, following the rules, guidelines and prompts to make decisions regarding the formatting of the documents.
- Learn and stay up to date on accessible format guidelines and standards for braille, large print and PDF/UA formats.
- Producing tactile graphics using graphic software to transform print illustrations, maps, images, diagrams, etc. into readable tactual format for the blind.
- As experience is gained with the custom-built software, provide feedback on usability and improvements through the appropriate channels.
Education & Requirements
- A minimum of a 2-year college diploma, or equivalent, is required.
- This is an entry-level role; some previous experience working in an office or production setting would be an asset.
- Must pass screening results for general and criminal background checks and credit history on an ongoing basis.
- Experience in writing reports and document structuring is an asset.
- Proficient in using Microsoft office tools (Microsoft Word, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat, PDF.
- Experience working with graphic software, such as InDesign or Corel Draw would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Braille and/or accessible formats would be considered an asset.
- Strong proof-reading skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks and troubleshoot problems and issues.
- Well organized and have logical problem-solving skills
- Good relationship and team-building skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Desktop publishing skills would be considered an asset
- Ability to manipulate word, learn a user interface to create tactile graphics or document layout formatting
- Ability to learn technical details and provide feedback on user experience for the tools used
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy and ability to learn things quickly
- Ability to remain calm under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish would be an asset
- Working space must be professional / business appropriate, free of distractions and safely maintained (as to meet safe working conditions followed on company premises).
- A fast, stable/uninterrupted internet connection
Allyant is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we pride ourselves on hiring and developing the best people. All employment decisions are based on the applicant’s or employee’s qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration. We value a diverse workforce and will provide equal opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment for meeting bona fide occupational qualifications, regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognized protected basis prohibited by applicable law.
Applications from people with disabilities are encouraged and welcomed. Appropriate accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any unique accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If you are looking to join a growing team where you can work in a customer-focused, innovative, challenging, and fun learning environment where you can acquire and hone valuable skills, we invite you to apply by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.