Reports to: Manager, Guided Transcription
Schedule / Shift: Monday – Friday; EST or CST Days Hours; 37.5 per week
Reporting to the Manager, Guided Transcription, and working work closely with a team of Transcription Specialists and the Quality Assurance team, this position is responsible for creating tactile graphics for the creation of braille or large print documents that are usable by the blind and low vision consumer in the production of educational materials such as textbooks and testing materials and customized maps with a large emphasis on Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) subject matter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Will be mentored to be the corporate “Subject Matter Expert” (SME) as it relates to tactile graphics.
- Remain current with tactile graphics changes and ensure Allyant maintains a leadership position in its knowledge and interpretations as changes develop.
- Work towards a braille certification to remain current on with BANA standards, mainly the Technical Committee to provide input and knowledge regarding the production of tactiles within braille documents and be a knowledge base for Allyant employees, where required.
- Review and recommend software updates or changes as they relate to the production of tactile graphics.
- Provide guidance, training, and mentorship to other tactile artists at Allyant to create finished tactile products to braille transcribers responsible for creating braille documents.
- The Team Lead ensures that a tactile artist is assigned to a ticket and has work lined up for them whenever a ticket is ready for tactile creation.
- Learn Allyant’s production tracking system to keep up to date with its use as a tool for managing workflow.
- Participate in customer meetings as required.
- Understanding a Allyant custom-built software which is used to create accessible documents for the blind and low vision consumer in the educational marketplace.
- Producing tactile graphics using graphic software to transform print illustrations, maps, images, diagrams, etc. into readable tactual format for the blind, to be inserted within braille documents. A knowledge of braille and formatting rules is required to make these tactiles usable by blind consumers.
- Working within MS Word, InDesign, and other similar tools to convert print material to large print formats. A knowledge of large print standards is required to create reflowed or enlarged print formats, suitable for low vision consumers.
- Maintain a repository of approved tactiles for other tactile artists or guided transcription operators to use in current material.
- Drive and monitor quality of output from a team of tactile artists and report issues to the Manager as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ideal candidate will feel comfortable leading a junior team, providing constant feedback and training. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A minimum of a 2-year college diploma with a graphics design designation, or equivalent, is required.
- This is a team lead role, some previous experience working in an office or production setting as well as supervising is an asset.
- Must successfully pass criminal background check, credit check.
- Experience in writing reports and document structuring is an asset.
- Knowledge of Braille and/or accessible formats would be considered an asset.
- Desktop publishing skills would be considered an asset.
- Ability to manipulate word, learn a user interface to create tactile graphics or document layout formatting.
- Strong proof-reading skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks and troubleshoot problems and issues.
- Well organized and have logical problem-solving skills.
- Good relationship and team building skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to learn technical details and provide feedback on user experience for the tools used.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy and ability to learn things quickly.
- Ability to remain calm under the pressure of tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish would be an asset
- Knowledge of basic math is necessary, but advanced math concepts would be a great asset
- Logical reasoning to evaluate importance of topics as they relate to the company goals and customer requests will help to make meaningful decisions. Independent reasoning abilities to explain complexities are useful. Problem solving and innovative thinking play a big role in this position.
- Proficient in using Microsoft office tools (Microsoft Word, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat, PDF
- Experience working with graphic software, such as InDesign or Corel Draw
- Basic programming knowledge is not essential, but can be helpful
Certificates and Licenses:
- Braille certification is not essential but would be considered an asset
- Organizing and assigning work to tactile team members.
- Recognizing the abilities of co-workers
- Evaluate and encourage co-workers
- Ensure that the tools needed by the team to complete their tasks are noted
- Working space must be professional / business appropriate, free of distractions and safely maintained (as to meet safe working conditions followed on company premises).
- A fast, stable / uninterrupted internet connection
Allyant is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we pride ourselves on hiring and developing the best people. All employment decisions are based on the applicant’s or employee’s qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration. We value a diverse workforce and will provide equal opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment for meeting bona fide occupational qualifications, regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognized protected basis prohibited by applicable law.
Applications from people with disabilities are encouraged and welcomed. Appropriate accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any unique accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If you are looking to join a growing team where you can work in a customer-focused, innovative, challenging, and fun learning environment where you can acquire and hone valuable skills, we invite you to apply by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.